Tuesday, September 2, 2014

ART IGNORED Those who don't want to see or take action, don't look

Art Ignored (Melbourne Australia August 2014)


Him: 
(the artist approaching me from behind as I walked around the artwork on the pavement) Can I ask what made you stop to look at the work?

Me: 
Well I really liked it. It's a comment on homelessness right?

Him: 
Yes it is. But we're worried that not many people are stopping to look. You're one of the very few who've stopped today.

Me: 
Well, you know people are conditioned not to look. Anyway, (I point to the passing hordes of shoppers) look, people are too busy shopping, looking at stuff in the windows.

Him: 
Yes, I guess they don't like to see do they?

Me: 
Well a lot of people don't want to know or see, you're right. They're afraid that if they see they will have to do something

Him: 
Well a lot of people glance out of the corner of their eye then they quickly look away.

Me:  
People are afraid like I say. They think there might be someone here to grab them to sell them something or a homeless person asking for money or whatever

Him:
We've tried everything. Putting down a sign explaining what it is. But that was gone after half an hour. We put the same piece down in...(a popular part of the city)... and the whole installation was gone in twenty minutes.

Me: 
Well, people don't want to know. You're an artist so you know that already.

Him: 
Yes, you're right. Thanks (looking a bit dejected he started to walk away)

Me: 
 Keep on with the work. It's important and remember it's not about the number of people who see and respond, it's about the quality of the response.


              I'm not sure he heard these last words from me.




2 comments:

  1. Sad, but very true... People are wrapped in their own worlds... I think we're all a bit guilty of that. We're on our phones or just wanting to not draw attention to ourselves. We avoid attention by not giving it... I hope this man continues his work. I'm sure your conversation meant so much to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry My reply seems to have vanished. Thank you for commenting and you're right, we are all guilty sometimes. And it can be discouraging for artists, but all we can do is keep on trying..thanks again!

      Delete

I welcome any comments, questions, suggestions. The floor is yours! Sharing is a huge part of my philosophy, so please, share your thoughts with us